Red Sox add six players to 40-man rosterTuesday November 20th, 2012
The Red Sox added six players to their 40-man roster: righthanders Allen Webster, Steven Wright, and Alex Wilson, catchers Christian Vazquez and Dan Butler, and outfielder Alex Hassan.
Infielder Ivan DeJesus, third baseman Danny Valencia, and righthanders David Carpenter, Sandy Rosario, and Zach Stewart were designated for assignment.
The 40-man roster is now full. Teams had to set their rosters Tuesday in advance of the Rule 5 Draft Dec. 6.
Webster was one of the prospects obtained from the Dodgers in August and is considered a prospective starter. Wilson, who converted to the bullpen last season, profiles as a set-up man.Wright, a knuckleballer, was obtained from Cleveland for Lars Anderson in July.
Vazquez, 22, is a strong defensive catcher. The same is true of Butler.
Hassan was a bit of a surprise given that he hit a modest .256 with limited power (13 doubles, seven home runs in 312 at-bats) for Triple A Pawtucket. But the Milton native has uncanny strike zone discipline. Hassan has a career .391 on-base percentage in the minors.
DeJesus, Valencia, and Stewart had limited action in the majors for the Sox last season. Stewart was hit hard in two starts.
Rosario and Carpenter never played for the Sox. Rosario was claimed off waivers from the Marlins in October. Carpenter was obtained from Toronto for Mike Aviles in the trade tied to compensation for manager John Farrell.
The Sox have 10 days to trade, release, or pass those players through waivers. They have marginal trade value.
A few observations on the roster moves:
• The Sox now have five catchers on the 40-man roster, which is a lot. You have to think that trading Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Ryan Lavarnway is in the works.
GM Ben Cherington said Monday that he would not be averse to sending Lavarnway to Triple A. But with Vazquez ready for Double A and Butler finishing last season at Triple A, that would create a logjam.
• Seems funny that the Sox kept the guy they got for Lars Anderson (Wright) and dumped the guy they got for Kevin Youkilis (Stewart).
• Butler is amazing story. He is an undrafted free agent who was a backup at the University of Arizona. The Sox saw him play at the Cape Cod League and signed him to be a backup at Lowell in 2009. Now he's made it to the 40-man roster.
• One notable omission from the roster is RHP Josh Fields, a reliever who struck out 78 batters in 58.1 innings last season for Portland and Pawtucket. But he is a 27-year-old reliever and the Sox have a fairly deep bullpen. If he is taken in the Rule 5 Draft, it would be a surprise if he stuck with another team all season.
• The Sox also elected not to protect several players they sent to the Arizona Fall League (3B Michael Almanzar, RHP Ryan Pressly, RHP Brock Huntzinger, RHP Pete Ruiz).
• Keep in mind that the roster will change plenty before the start of spring training. The Red Sox have plenty of holes in their lineup and decisions to make regarding their arbitration-eligible players. The moves Tuesday night were made with the Rule 5 Draft in mind.
The original article can be found here: Article Source
For tickets to events at Fenway Park, Fenway Ticket King is an excellent choice supplying the largest selection of tickets at competitive prices. Find Boston Red Sox tickets or Fenway Park concert tickets online.